For My New Photo Gallery Click Here
More Photos In This Series

Tuesday 7 September 2010

My neighbours--A Pair of Nesting Red-Whiskered Bulbuls (3)



The parents continued to bring home delicious insects everyday for the next few days.
 


 






Although the chicks were getting bigger, I noticed that they spent most of the time sleeping and were not very alert even at feeding times.  The chicks did not look well to me at all.


A couple of days later, when I woke up one morning, there were only two babies in the nest.  One of the nestlings had disappeared over night.


By now, the two remaining nestlings looked unwell too. They didn’t seem to have the energy to take food from their parents.


The following morning, I was so sad to see that another chick was gone. The remaining chick spent the whole day sleeping.

Next morning, I got up early and sadly, the nest was empty. I saw the mother’s grieving face for the last time. 

I suspect that the nestlings may have died and been removed by the mother overnight, one by one.  After checking online, I found that this kind of behaviour has been documented previously. http://www.birdchick.com/wp/2009/04/interesting-stuff-at-the-nest-cam-site/

5 comments:

Mark Young said...

Interesting read. Hopefully the parents will be more successful with their next clutch.

Phil Slade said...

A very interesting and well documented read with some great pictures, such a pity about the outcome of the nest.

Sam and Lisa said...

The Naturel world is a tough place

Amila Salgado said...

Sad, indeed. I am sure this will bounce back from this, and raise another brood.

Friend of HK said...

Thanks for stopping by!