For My New Photo Gallery Click Here
More Photos In This Series

Thursday 19 May 2011

Tough birds----Where there is a will there is a way

Before I knew it, my Red-whiskered Bulbul neighbours who just lost their chicks last month had built a new nest and hatched their eggs again.

 

I only  realized what was going on when I saw the parents bringing home small insects again.





The nest is hidden very well in a big pine tree in the garden and to this day I am not able to locate it. I decided not to disturb the chicks and just observe the parents from inside my house.

Most of the time, the two birds would go out hunting together. If one caught insects first, it would wait for the other somewhere high up just outside my garden. 


If one was out of sight, the other would make very loud calls on top of a small tree. 


They always fed the chicks in turns, usually mum went in first, while daddy was waiting nearby on guard. 


Gradually, the insects they brought back got bigger and bigger.









One day, I even saw big Stick Insects! 





The two birds had been in and out every 10-20 minutes everyday for over a week, no matter if it was boiling hot or was pouring down with rain. With such dedicated parents, the nestlings must have been growing fast. I am sure that this time these two determined birds will be able to bring up a new family very soon.  

5 comments:

Joop Zand said...

My compliments for these wonderful pictures.....well done

Greetings, Joop

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

That is great they were successful the second time. Great shots. Hope you get some of the fledglings.

Amila said...

Great observation and pictures!

Olga Ricci said...

Que buenas capturas!
Saludos australes!

Unknown said...

Very imformative and great shots.